Welcome to your new favorite cake recipe! This cake is perfect for Valentines day, a birthday party, baby shower, or even bridal shower… I always get compliments whenever I make this cake! It’s now your turn.
It takes me a total of 60 minutes to make anddd even better, makes our home smell like a delicious bakery! You must give this a try!
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup vegetable oil, or any flavorless oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup freshly brewed hot coffee
Chocolate Fudge Frosting Recipe
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 6 cups powdered sugar, SIFTED
- 1⅓ cup cocoa
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup whole milk
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Butter and line 2 8-inch x 2-inch round cake pans
- Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl. Whisk the ingredients together by hand
- In another bowl, combine the buttermilk, oil, eggs, vanilla and coffee
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and GENTLY mix the batter just to combine. Do not over mix or beat as this will cause the cake to be tough
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 25 mins. Insert toothpick in the center to see if it’s ready, if not, bake for an additional 5-10 mins
- Cool in the pans for 30 minutes, then turn them out onto a cooling rack and cool completely
To make the Fudge Frosting:
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat room temperature butter until lightly fluffy. Add the sifted powdered sugar 1 spoon at a time and mix well. It will get light in color and bigger
- Add vanilla and cocoa, and the milk, scraping down the sides of the bowl as you work.
- Turn mixer on medium high. Beat frosting until light, fluffy and of spreading consistency.
- If the frosting is too thick, slowly add more milk or half and half, one tablespoon at a time, until it reaches the desired consistency.
- You can use the frosting immediately, or store it in the refrigerator for 3 days, or freeze if for up to 3 months. Allow frosting to come to room temperature before using.
- To Decorate: Place 1 layer, flat side up, on a flat plate
- Create a crumb layer :With a knife or spatula, spread the top with frosting. Place the second layer on top, rounded side up, and spread the frosting evenly on the top and sides of the cake.
- Put the cake in the fridge and let the crumb layer set for around 30 minutes (this will make the finished product look really clean)
- Take the cake from the fridge and put on another, final layer of frosting. Try and get it as smooth as you can.
- Store at room temperature or in the fridge
If you do end up making this cake, be sure to comment below on the result or get in touch with on Instagram, I would love to hear from you